We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.
Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® are taking you to your final destination.
If you are unable to locate your checked bag:
- Notify an AA/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
- You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
- Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag
- Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator to check the status of your bag.
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
- Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
- Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
- Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names, and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
- Retain a copy for your records
Note: Incomplete or late Questionnaires negatively impact our ability to find your property.
Should Central Baggage Service locate your bag, a Service Representative will contact you to arrange its return. Otherwise, your file will be forwarded to the Central Baggage Service Claims Department. A final resolution will be made in accordance with our Conditions of Carriage
or applicable Canadian
tariffs and forwarded to you by regular U.S. mail. In the interim, please feel free to contact us
for updates on the status of our efforts.
When checked baggage is delayed, an American Airlines/American Eagle Baggage Service Representative may authorize reasonable interim expenses to purchase items necessary for immediate use. To obtain reimbursement of expenses, submit:
- Your confidential six-letter file locator
- A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
- Your original, dated, itemized, verifiable receipts documenting the authorized expenditures
Mail to the following address within 30 days of authorization:
American Airlines, Interim Expense Reimbursement
P.O. Box 619613 MD 1322/HDQ
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9613